The thematic periodic meeting of the Media subjective group was organized by DPNet on 6th March, 2022 in Aplha House Baneshwor. The program was chaired by Ms. Kamala Panthi, Coordinator of Media Subjective Group. She also highlighted the role of the media and said that the media should always be GESI friendly. She welcomed everyone and shared the objectives of the program. All together 31 participants joined the program.
- Dr. Dijan Bhattarai, Under Secretary of NDRRMA highlighted the climate change in Nepal. He shared about the major disaster events such as pre and post monsoon, and huge flood in Manang and debris flow in Melamchi. He then shared about 9 thematic groups and NPDRR Platform. He highlighted the importance of media and said that media can play expertise in NPDRR Platform. Media has always been active in disaster prone areas and has been working closely with the government. He said now the media should be clear and make a 5 year Action Plan for a good working strategy. These all can be members of this Platform and have frequent meetings. He said it would be better if the subjective group makes a specific logo for the thematic groups to identify it easily.
- Mr. Prakash Ghimire, Co-Coordinator of the Subjective group gave a presentation on “Role of Media in Disaster Risk Reduction and Management”. He shared about the status of disaster in Nepal. He further shared about the scopes and gaps of media, policies, governance and disaster relationship. He explained the role of the media before, during and after the disaster. Before a disaster, the media plays a vital role to identify the vulnerable areas, public notice and flow the information and so on. Similarly during the disaster, the media plays a role in sharing information frequently.
- Dr. Raju Thapa, Acting Chair of DPNet shared about DPNet and its member organization. He said that DPNet is working as Secretariat of NPDRR. He shared about the National Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (NCDRR). NCDRR comprises paper presentation, 27 Market place exhibition, prize distribution on essay competition, Sphere lok dohori like programs. He further said about the 9 subjective groups. Media has worked as a front liner in Pandemic as well. He said that a 5 year Action Plan is very important. It would be better if this action is based on the NPDRR Guideline of the government. He requested the media to participate in International treaties and share about the work as well.
- Media tries to collect the authentic data and the data should not vary in different media. So, the media should collaborate and verify the authentic data.
- Media should bring the issues from ground level.
- The different sub-groups according to perfect ability should be formed and work together.
- The media should be GESI friendly.
- It was discussed about utilizing the experience of the role of media in disaster risk reduction and management.
- It was discussed about relationship between media and NDRRMA.
- Journalists from different media should be addressed and work in DRR&M.
- There are different kinds of disasters in Terai, Hilly and Mountain. Different preparations should be carried out.
- YouTube always doesn’t give authentic data. This issue should be addressed.
- Nepal Police, Nepal Army and other government stakeholders should also link the media to share their efforts.
- Different training, publications related capacity enhancement for media should be organized.
- Media group helps to identify the vulnerable area. This information should be addressed and responded to by the government as well.
- Media reported once and left the issue after sometime. This does not have a long term impact. There should be follow in the issue as well.
- Media should also focus on preserving resources.
- Media should make a strong committee at the Central level and work in all three levels.
- There is specific trending in News, the media should focus on overall disaster issues as well.
- It is important to link education to disaster risk reduction to reach half of the population.
- Sector wise interventions should be mobilized.
- The information of vulnerable areas should be addressed and inform the local people fast.
- MoHA should give pre and frequent information of disaster to the media. So, the Media could flow the information on time
- There should be open space in the NPDRR Platform. The sub-groups in media should not be differentiated.
Dr. Raju Thapa said to move in an inclusive way in disaster risk reduction and management. He said that the scatter data collection should be authentic and Ms. Kamala Panthi finally closed the program.