The Province level DRR Platform Orientation cum Consultation meeting was organized in Rubus Hotel, Dhangadhi on November 1 and 2, 2021.
Day 1: Coordination and Consultation Meeting
The opening remark was given by Ms. Santona Devkota K.C., DPnet staff. She shared about the formation and history of DRR Platform. The program was chaired by Mr. Surya Bahadur Thapa, Chairperson of DPNet. He highlighted the importance of coordination and collaboration of stakeholders on disaster management. The participants were from Ministry of Internal Affairs and Law (MOIAL), Nepal Red Cross Society (NRCS) Kailali, Suaahara, National Disaster Management Network of Nepal (DiMaNN), CDMS/ Women Humanitarian and Disaster Risk Reduction Platform (WHDRRP), Ministry of Social Development (MoSD), Prayash Nepal, United Nations World Food Programme (UNWFP), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)/FOD, United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF), World Health Organization (WHO) and Disaster Preparedness Network- Nepal (DPNet). Altogether 18 key stakeholders (5 women and 13 men) participated in the Consultation meeting. Mr. Surya Bahadur Thapa briefly shared about the National Platform Disaster Risk Reduction Guidelines, 2077. He shared the structure of guidelines and national platform. He further shared the structure, roles and responsibilities of the Subjective Committee in Province Level. He briefed about the local and national level platform as well. He shared about the role and responsibilities of NPDRR and Ministry of Home Affairs as well.
· It was discussed about the scope of disaster preparedness and response at Local, Province and National Level.
· Local Level is the first responder of disaster so it was discussed about upgrading DRR mainstreaming into local level planning and program. The NPDRR should work on capacity building of Local Level.
· Local level should have to adopt the fast and effective response mechanism
· The disaster mainstreaming helps to reduce the vulnerability in Local and Province Level.
· Disaster risk reduction should be integrated and mainstreamed into other development sectors
· Local Level, Province Level and National level usually work on the same module and theme which should be divided to avoid duplication in work.
· There are already many forums of different stakeholders and institutes which should be collaborated, coordinated and mobilized to work better for disaster management.
· The advocacy and policy part should be very strongly implemented for quality work in DRR&M.
· The actual disaster related data should be identified so that the further process of risk mitigation will go well in a coordinated way.
· It was discussed about the role of stakeholders in DRR&M.
Mr. Laxmi Prasad Joshi, DRR focal person, Sudur Paschim Province, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Law (MOIAL) in his closing remarks, said that the Province level platform will help to collaborate and coordinate the stakeholders for disaster risk reduction and management. He gave a vote of thanks to every participant and closed the program.
Day 2: Orientation and consultation about the Province level Platform for DRR
On the second day, the program was chaired by Dr. Dijan Bhattarai, Under Secretary of NDRRMA. The Chief Guest of the program was Honorable Minister Purna Joshi, Sudur Paschim Province, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Law (MOIAL). The welcome speech was delivered by Shree Bishwodip Bishra, Under Secretary, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Law (MOIAL). The program was facilitated by Mr. Laxmi Prasad Joshi, DRR focal person, Sudur Paschim Province, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Law (MOIAL). All together 50 participants including 6 women and 44 men were present in the program.
· Mr. Surya Bahadur Thapa, Chairperson of DPNet-Nepal and Member Secretary of NPDRR highlighted the objectives of the program. He shared the structure of the national platform. He further shared about structure, roles and responsibilities of the Subjective Committee in Province Level. He further shared about the working processes of DRR&M. He shared about the importance and the sphere book and handed it over to authority.
· Mr. Laxmi Prasad Joshi, DRR focal person, Sudur Paschim Province, Ministry of Internal Affairs and Law (MOIAL) presented about “Situation of Disaster Management in Sudur Paschim”. His presentation included the background, disaster background, cluster approach in Sudur Paschim Province. He further shared about the policy advocacy level in Sudur Paschim. He further shared about the funds and programs carried out in Province. He highlighted the importance of stakeholder involvement, its challenges and opportunities. He also highlighted the importance of coordination with UN agencies and other agencies.
· Dr. Dijan Bhattarai, Under Secretary of NDRRMA briefly shared the National Platform Disaster Risk Reduction Guidelines, 2077. He highlighted the major points of the guideline and highlighted the importance of the NPDRR guideline. He further said that the government alone could not complete any event without support. He then shared how the National Platform was formed. He shared that DPNet-Nepal as Secretariat of NPDRR has initiated the formation of 9- subjective committees whereas 6 Committees are formed and 3 will be formed soon. He highlighted the importance of these subjective committees.
· Honorable Minister Purna Joshi, Sudurpaschim Province Ministry of Internal Affairs and Law (MOIAL), said that we should focus on emergency response. Every stakeholder such as the Police, Army, and health sector are actively participating in DRR&M during the disaster and she said this should be continued. She said that the rescue team should be motivated and there should be proper identification of affected people. She said that every Province should have sufficient ambulances, hearses and other equipment for emergency response. Helipads should be made in different places for instant rescue too. She further shared about the experiences of past and present disaster events. She further initiated to take lead in committee formation.
Dr. Dijan Bhattarai, Under Secretary of NDRRMA, gave a vote of thanks and closed the program.