Oct 08, 2018
With reference to the decision of International Day for Disaster Reduction (IDDR) working group to mark the IDDR 2018 in a remarkable way, the Secretariat of National Platform for DRR (DPNet-Nepal) in coordination with Ministry of Home Affairs, AINTGDM and DiMaNN jointly organized a rally. AINTGDM members Action Aid, DCA, HELVETAS, OXFAM, Plan International, and LWR, ISET Nepal jointly supported logistic part of the rally. The major objective of the rally was to initiate the week long program for IDDR 2018 along with the dissemination of DRR message to the public. The rally was successfully organized with the wider participation of approximate 400 participants representing Government agency, DPNet-Nepal, NGO's, AINTGDM, Municipality Association of Nepal, Private sectors and community people. Considering the heavy traffic and crowd in office hour, rally was organized early morning and participants were invited accordingly.
Major highlights of the IDDR Rally 2018
- Rally Started at 7:30 AM with the main slogan "Increase Investment in Disaster Reduction, Reduce the Economic Loss" in the banner of Nepal government, National Platform for DRR, AINTGDM and DiMaNN.
- The musical band from Nepal Police had created a pleasant environment of the rally. The rally was gender and disability inclusive with the noticeable participation of females and person with disability.
- The play cards and banner with the key message on DRR focusing on increasing the investment in DRR and reducing the economic loss were displayed in the rally.
- The rally was marched from Bhrikuti Mandap to Sahid Gate, Nepal Airlines Corporation, Ratnapark and closed in Bhrikuti Mandap.
- Mr. Surya Bahadur Thapa of DPNet-Nepal shared that the rally is a joint initiative of National Platform for DRR with government and AINTGDM and other stakeholders. He thanked all participants for the enthusiastic participation in the rally, despite of short notice and early morning schedule.
- Ms. Indu Ghimire, Joint Secretary and chief of Disaster and Conflict Management division formally closed the program with the closing remarks stating that the weeklong program to mark the IDDR 2018 has been initiated with the rally and will end with the National Level Symposium as a main program on 13 th October 2018. Furthermore, she thanked all participants of the rally.
- Breakfast packets were distributed at the end of the program.